The Sartorial Interview
Tagged by Ninie
Don't be rude, I love you madly.
It's up to you, I'll take you gladly.
Love is blind, my vision's hazy.
It didn't take me long to say
I'm in the mood!
- Bette Midler's "In The Mood" -
Omigod, omigod, I was tagged by Ninie to do the Sart interview!!! *hyperventilate*. I’ve read other interviews done by people more interesting than me and was wishing that someone would tag me *like the ditz I can be*..and someone did! Yay! Thanks Ninie!
*Job?
I can barely explain my job to my brother, and you want me to expound its virtues here?! But at least I have a job kan? *Alhamdulillah*
*Best sartorial advice from your parents?
Never wear horizontal stripes..and yet, that was what I was caught on in my old ic photo….in black and white, it just looked nasty!
*Style icons
Sadly enough, and you may have seen it coming, Oprah. It’s prolly the hair and the chunkier-than-thou physique, altho’s I bet she’s a lot fitter than I am.
*Describe your personal style
Classically comfortable. I used to live in comfortable short sleeved shirts and sensible pants. Unfortunately, it has made me look like my mom’s older sister at times, so recently, I’ve been experimenting a little. So, now, my personal style is “belasah aje as long as I look pwetty, pwetty, pwetty…oh, better yet, if my sister praises my outfit”.
*I build my daily look around...
My mood, my hair and who I want to impress that day. Seriously, I am that shallow.
*Personal Style quirk
I love pairing red with black. I think I look good in red :) Besides, it makes me feel a tad sexier. And I’m always on a look out for red heels that are not slutty.
*Favorite designers
I worship the grounds on which the designers for Marks & Spencer walks on. Especially those who look out for chunky but short people like me *shoutout*.
*Most cherished item
1. My beaded black organza kebaya top. Sure fire way to garner compliments and to look uber-elegant at the same time. Especially when you’re stuck at yet another wedding, fielding off questions about your impending one with a plastic smile. Plus, it’s flattering and would *hopefully* never go out of style!
2. My black knitted knee length skirt which I’ve owned since yonks. It has carried me through my clubbing days and now serves me faithfully whenever I need to look good and impress people in the office haha!
3. My one and only pair of coquettish red heels.
5. My tummy-tuckers. ‘Nuff said.
*I feel best wearing?
Something that makes me look good at every angle. Which doesn’t happen often, so, I’m perpetually going “I’ve got nooothinnggg to weeeaarrrr!!* But said kebaya with sarong and a black corset, plus hair and makeup, always manage to lift my spirits, altho’ let’s face it, how often can you get away with that outfit? *rolls eyes*
*The first thing I look at in another Sartorialist’s outfit...
I don’t know any Sartorialists! But through prefects training ten years back, I’ve learnt to look at the whole package to spot if she has her kancing on, if her earrings are the right colour, if her fingernails are short, if her hair is coloured……
*I always break this fashion rule...
Never wear your mom’s clothes. But I wear my mom’s baju kurung ALL the time! They’re nicer than mine! Altho’ that does say something about my mom’s taste and my size…
*I never break this fashion rule...
Kurungs or kebayas for Raya and open houses.
*Never caught wearing?
Hot pants and mini skirts. Want to be blinded or what?
*Most underrated item in menswear/womenswear?
A well-cut blazer/ jacket. In a bad one, you’ll just sport the tenggelam-under-a-kelambu look.
*Dress to impress who?
Who I want to impress? Oh, everyone. Right from corporate figures, to sexy male bosses, to snobby female bosses, to other chunky peers, to the average guy on the street. And my mom wonders why I take so long to get ready in the morning.
*Shine your own shoes?
Couldn’t be bothered. Only when I’m out to impress hehe.
*Favorite stores?
Marks & Spencer, Principles and H&M. Oh you mean, kedai-kedai kat Malaysia? Sorry la, I kan snobbish sikit bab-bab beli baju kat Malaysia nie *said in a Mat Salleh accent*.
*Your next “must have” purchase?
A lovely dress that I’m eyeing in Tangs. It would go very well with a date to an Italian restaurant haha!
*I only buy __________ in Europe.
Everything! And I want more!
*I skimp when buying …
Mascara. Maybelline has some great ones. And facial cleansers. I find that Neutrogena and Eversoft is just as great. But I’m currently hooked on Origins these days *yes, I am luxurious* And, outfits to work out in. I get them at Carrefour, Reject Shop and FOS *yes, I can be sooo cheap!*
*I splurge on…..
Clothes that fit me well and make me look pwetty! Especially evening wear. I just close both eyes when I make the purchase. And undergarments. Especially tummy tuckers. ‘Nuff said.
*Favorite item of clothing
I’ve got an asymmetrical black skirt from Elle that I love to death. It’s got some bulu2 already due to excessive wash. And my cute red top from M&S, which I’m trying to not wear too often.
*Guilty pleasure
Expensive hair care product. Mask from L’Occitane and serums and styling products from salon brands. When you have hair like mine, trust me, they are a worthy investment.
*Perfume, Skincare
Currently, I’m using Paul Smith’s Rose. This was after circling Heathrow’s duty free zone for like, 500 times. Initially I wanted to replace my Daisy by Marc Jacobs which were snatched along back in February. But the promoter managed to persuade me by telling me conspiratorially that it’s the best “English Rose” scent in the shop. I was sold. I’m currently using Origins skincare, and I luurve the facial wash and moisturizer. But hey, I can go back to Neutrogena and Garnier any day, baby.
*Most stylish city (Milan, Paris, London, New York, other)
London, London, London! Don’t believe me? Just hang out at Café Nero or Wasabe on Oxford St or around Notting Hill and tell me what they’re wearing does not blow your mind. Maybe not stylish la, but definitely brave.
*When I was high school I wore?
Oh god, I was a fashion disaster back then! Now pun, it’s just that I have my sister to yell at me. I remembered a certain B.U.M. t-shirt that I used to wear with raspberry shorts..haha!
*Sports?
Jazzercise! And I think I can grow to love Yoga. And I’ve always liked to swim. But I can’t do any of these activities yet, due to my knee and fasting month. But tunggu laa….
*Favorite fashion magazine?
Harper’s Bazaar and InStyle.
*Favorite vacation spot?
London! But I’m dreaming of an island getaway right about now. Four Seasons Langkawi sounds and looks DIVINE. But I’ll settle for Cherating or the coastlines of Terengganu anytime.
*Favorite neighborhood restaurant?
There’s this café that serves pretty good food in Shah Alam, called Naluri Café. It belongs to my dad’s friend and one of the staff there is pure eye candy hehe. Oh, and your neighbourhood Pak Li for its kopitiam fare and your friendly Khalifah for the best and biggest paper thosai.
Let’s see...I wanna tag:
1. The Diva Deen – so he can clear the sawangs from his blog
2. Nerrs – so she can post it on FB
3. Aftotz – so she can update on a more cheery note.