Recovering what is lost
what day is it
and in what month
this clock never seemed so alive
I can't keep up
and I can't back down
I've been losing so much time
cause it's you and me and all of the people
with nothing to do
nothing to lose
and it's you and me and all of the people
and I don't know why
I can't keep my eyes off of you
- Lifehouse's "You and Me" -
Music. Once in a while, you come across a song; a lilting tune, a moody rhythm, a soothing melody or a simple jingle-jangle of guitar strings. You close your eyes, savor the opening melody, and let it wash all over you till you feel like you’re swimming in a pool of oblivion; where nothing exists except you and the music. Sometimes you smile, other times you find yourselves tapping the rhythm on anything you can get hold of. And sometimes, a song can evoke such memories that makes you stumble, hit the ground and break into tears.
Tears. It trickles, it gushes, it slides downward, defying gravity, mercilessly. It begins with a surge of warmth beneath the eyelids, the prickle of heat on your irises, the heaving emotions as your catalyst. Then, out, out came the streams of clear remorse, the rivers of sadness, the drops of happiness, the salty taste of fear, the pristine fountain of undying love.
Love. Elusive as the shadow, inviting as the calm lake, reckless as the passing wind, tempestuous as the stormy skies, pure as a new dew. Fiery hot as a beloved’s touch, moist as a lover’s lips, warm as the hands that loved. Yearned like an unborn baby and hungered like a day’s bread. Enduring as the desert sands, solid as a rock, a package of happiness wrapped in memories.
Memories. There’s too much to be said, too much that could have been done, too much of what ifs. Turn it over, fluff out the dust, rearrange the shape, pat it gently with a newfound fondness. What once was ugly emerge in its beauty, what once was doubtful became clear, and what once was not there, comes into existence, and will remain. Enduring, pure, warm, solid as a rock.
My rock.
Love is love. Love love.
That’s all there is to it.
And, as I close my eyes,
My mind rushes with the intensity
Of a floating feather….
And, as I breathe,
My lungs are punctured,
With the tender, sweet air…
And, as my lips curves into a smile,
My heart bursts in its entirety,
With the thoughts of you…
- An ode to You and Me -